Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about SWAT. If you have any further enquiries, please contact us.
What is SWAT?
The Selective Written Assessment Test, or SWAT, is a mock examination experience. It occurs annually and is aimed at helping students in Years 3, 4 and 5 prepare for the Opportunity Class (OC) Placement Test, Selective School Placement Test and Scholarship exams.
For Year 5 students, the SWAT exam consists of four papers in Reading, Mathematical Reasoning, Thinking Skills and Writing. Year 5 students will need to bring their own device to sit the exam.
The following devices are supported:
- Android tablet (10 inches and above)
- Windows tablet (10 inches and above)
- Desktop PC/iMac
The following internet browsers are supported:
- Firefox 70+ (Windows 7, 8, 10, Mac OSX)
- Internet Explorer 11+ (Windows 7, 8, 10)
- Safari 6+ (Mac OSX)
- Chrome 28+
The following operating systems are supported:
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8 and 10
- MacOSX 10.8+
- iOS 10.3+
- Android 5+
For Year 3 and 4 students, SWAT follows the new format (as announced by the Department of Education on 25 March 2021), of the OC Placement Test, testing in Reading, Mathematical Reasoning and Thinking Skills.
What if I am in Year 5 and I forget my device?
You will not be able to sit the SWAT exam and we will be unable to refund your registration.
Do you offer WiFi internet connection for Year 5 students?
Yes, all participating North Shore Coaching College will offer WiFi internet connection for Year 5 students sitting SWAT.
When will SWAT be held?
Saturday 3 July 2021 at selected North Shore Coaching College campuses.
What time does SWAT start?
The SWAT exam for Year 3 and Year 4 will start at 9:45am and will finish at 12pm.
The SWAT exam for Year 5 will start at 1pm and will finish at 4:30pm.
When is the last day to register for SWAT?
SWAT registrations will close at 2 weeks prior to the event date (or earlier if capacity is filled i.e. Allocation Exhausted).
How can I register for SWAT?
SWAT registrations are online only through our website www.swatexam.com.au and on a first come first serve basis. You can contact our Head Office on 02 9415 1860 should you require assistance in registering for SWAT online.
How much is SWAT?
The SWAT registration fee is $75 per student. We do not charge any additional fees and/or credit card payment surcharges.
SWAT is the most affordable ‘big exam experience’ for primary school students currently available.
What is included in the SWAT registration fee?
The SWAT registration fee of $75 per student includes:
- For Years 3 & 4 students: 3 x full-length OC papers.
- For Year 5 students: full-length Selective Placement Test format which consist of three 40-minute multiple-choice tests in Reading, Mathematical Reasoning and Thinking Skills performed on a compatible device (computer-based test) and a 30-minute writing test (pen and paper).
- Exam supervision.
- For Year 5 students: WiFi internet connection.
- Goods and Services Tax.
- All credit card payment fees and surcharges.
- A digital report that is emailed to parents 2 weeks after the SWAT exam.
- A chance to gain a scholarship to study at North Shore Coaching College (‘Young Achiever’ and ‘High Achiever’ courses). There are up to 60 scholarships on offer. Selection is based on the top performing students in SWAT across Years 3, 4 and 5.
What is your refund policy?
The SWAT e-ticket is non-refundable.
Can I transfer my child from one SWAT venue to another?
The SWAT e-ticket is non-transferable.
Why should my child sit SWAT?
Practising sitting an examination reduces test anxiety and improves performance when it comes to the ‘real deal’ (OC/Selective/Scholarship exams).
At just $75 per student, SWAT is the most affordable ‘big exam experience’ for Primary school students currently available. We also pride ourselves on creating expertly-developed academic content, with the SWAT papers following the current format of the Selective High School Placement Test for Year 5 students and the new format (as announced by the Department of Education on the 25 March 2021), of the OC Placement Test for Year 3 and Year 4 students.
SWAT provides parents with an accurate and detailed assessment of students’ abilities and their likely performance in the actual Opportunity Class Placement Test/Selective High School Placement Test.
Is SWAT similar to the Selective High School Placement Test?
Yes. SWAT papers for Year 5 students follow the current format of the Selective High School Placement Test. The exam experience will also help with Scholarship exam preparation.
Is SWAT similar to the OC School Placement Test?
Yes. SWAT papers for Year 3 and 4 students follow the new format (as announced by the Department of Education on the 25 March 2021), of the OC Placement Test, which includes testing in Reading, Mathematical Reasoning and Thinking Skills. The exam experience will also help with Selective High School Placement Test and Scholarship exams preparation.
How can my child prepare for SWAT?
- The OC, Selective and Scholarships tests (which SWAT is based on) are tests of ability rather than curriculum knowledge/performance.
- In preparation for these tests, you should focus on developing critical thinking, problem solving and active reading skills. The best way to do this is through regular, spaced learning and practice exams. North Shore Coaching College offers various term programs and booster progams providing just that!
- You can also purchase educational resources at the North Shore Shop, including our very own Practice Papers for Exam Preparation.
For more information, visit our For Students page.
Can my child register on the day of the SWAT exam?
What can my child bring on the day of the SWAT exam?
- 2 x HB or 2B pencils.
- A snack in a named zip-lock bag.
- A plastic (not glass) water bottle.
- For Year 5 students only: please bring a compatible device for the Year 5 SWAT exam.
What items are prohibited on the day of the SWAT exam?
- Mobile phones or electronic devices.
- Glass bottles.
- Calculators, paper, or other external aids.
- Students may wear a watch provided it does not have a calculator function and does not make noise throughout the examination.
When should we get to the venue?
Please arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. You will receive detailed information via email after successfully purchasing your SWAT exam e-ticket online and closer to the event.
Is there a break?
Yes, there will be breaks. However all students will remain inside the venue.
Can I sit with my child during the break?
No. Please drop off your child at the designated time which we will advise by email closer to the event.
Will I receive my child’s results?
Yes. A comprehensive individual SWAT report, which also details your child’s performance relative to other students, will be emailed to you up to 2 weeks after the SWAT examination date.
Where is the exam held?
SWAT will be held on Saturday 3 July 2021 at selected North Shore Coaching College campuses across NSW. For a list of participating campuses please visit our Venue Information page.
How do I get there?
Please see the Venue Information page for information on how to get to any of the SWAT venues.
Is there parking?
Yes. For more information, click here.
Should I stay for the whole 4 hours for the Year 5 SWAT exam?
There is no need to stay for the whole 4 hours for the Year 5 SWAT exam. All children must be picked up at the end of the examination; please allow for public transport delays/traffic and parking when planning your trip.
What do the scholarships offer?
Top performers in SWAT will be offered one of up to 60 scholarships to study at North Shore Coaching College. Scholarships vary in duration for one term to four terms. They can be used to enrol your child at any of our NSW campuses.
How many scholarships are available?
Up to 60 scholarships will be offered to students in Years 3-5, based on their performance in SWAT. Additional scholarships may be offered depending on student performance. We reserve the right to vary the number of scholarships offered due to circumstances beyond our control.
How are scholarships awarded?
Scholarships will be awarded to the students who receive the most outstanding results in SWAT in all three-year levels.
When will scholarships be announced?
We will contact parents with scholarship offers after results have been released (approximately up to 2 weeks after the SWAT exam).